Butter Chicken! Ahhh…before I start, let me have some control on my hunger as butter chicken is the only thing, simply can’t. For millions of non-vegetarians like me, butter chicken is their favorite domestic dish. And the best part is that, it’s easy to cook and could easily be found in your nearby Indian Restaurant. It’s slightly sweet and sour in taste, high in calorie but very luscious. It’s usually liked by everyone for its mild flavour and scrumptiously rich gravy.
Butter chicken is slightly sweet and sour. Restaurant style Indian butter chicken has tomato and cashewnut based gravy garnished with butter and cream. Authentic butter chicken is a very high calorie dish yet tasty.
Authentic Butter Chicken History
If you talk about the history, Kundan Lal Gujral, the owner of Moti Mahal Delux is credited as the inventor of authentic butter chicken recipe. He is the actual man who gave the world, the delicious and mouth watering dish, butter chicken.
He has really created a dish which can create an appetite for many. The dish has its roots in Punjabi Cuisine which was created and developed by Moti Mahal restaurant in Delhi, India. He used the Tandoori chicken that was only two-thirds cooked. And everywhere, it remains the same standard for the butter chicken.
What is butter chicken?
Butter chicken includes the medium sized grilled chicken chunks (Tandoori chicken) which is then cooked in a buttery and creamy, thick tomato based gravy. It’s widely known as butter chicken or Murgh Makhani. If you are a true chicken lover, you cannot find anything better than this. It’s just that it needs to be cooked nicely in a proper manner.
Butter chicken- Nutrition Elements
The favorite non-veg Indian dish is prepared in spectrum of flavors including multitude of seasonal spices & ingredients including- chili powder, garlic, garam masala, ginger, coriander and fenugreek.
- Calories- One average, one serving consisting of one boneless chicken breast sauce include around 4 to 5 oz with approx 438 calories
- Fat- One serving may contain 28 g of total fat, 12 g of saturated fat
- Carbohydrates- One serving contains 14 g of carbohydrates and close to 3 g of fiber
- Protein- One serving contains 30g of protein
Butter chicken cooking, recipe and preparation method
Ingredient needed to cook butter chicken
For 300gms of chicken breast boneless
For the marinate process, you need
- 1 -2 TSP of Hung Thick Curd
- 1 TSP of salt
- 1/2 TSP of Red Chilli Powder
- 1 TSP of Tandoori Masala
- 1/4 TSP of Tandoori Color
To make curry, you need:
- 2 TSP of Butter
- 2 TSP Of garlic paste
- 1 green chilly sliced
- 1/2 TSP Of Cumin powder
- 1/2 TSP of Red Chilly Powder
- 1 TSP of Salt
- 6 or 1/2 kg Tomato
- 10 Cashewnuts
- 1 Big TSP of Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 TSP of Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 TSP Of Cream
- 1/4 TSP Of garam masala
- 1 TSP of Fenugreek Crushed
- Finally get some chopped coriander leaves
Authentic butter chicken: Preparation Method
- Take a ball and put all ingredients under the marinate head and chicken pieces. Chicken should not be more than 1”inch in size. Mix them well and keep aside for 2-3 hrs.
- Peel, Blanch and Puree the tomatoes and keep them aside.
- Take some cashewnuts and soak them for 2-3 hrs in hot water, and then grind them in a fine paste
- To prepare the curry, heat the pan and add some butter, and immediately add the garlic paste
- Add the sliced green chilly along with some red chilly powder, salt and cumin seed powder & add 1 tblsp water and mix well
- Add the tomato puree and cook till the gravy leaves the side.
- Lower the stove temperature and add the cashewnut paste, stir them constantly
- Add tomato ketchup & sugar and 1/4 cup water.
- Meanwhile, get a separate pan and shallow the fry marinated chicken pieces for 4-5 minutes. Don’t overcook them till it gets hard and stiff. Keep it aside.
- Once the gravy is all boiled then add chicken pieces and cook it for a minute
- Now lower down the flame and add some milk and stir it well. Cook it for another 1 minute and add the cream. Mix it well
- Then add the garam masala and finely crush the fenugreek leaves
- Shift the chicken to a serving bowl and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves. Crush the fenugreek leaves and swirl of cream.
Now your authentic butter chicken is ready to delight you or your guests. Enjoy the luscious treat.